1. Sc.D. dissertation, as an independent scientific work of the applicant submitted for the degree of Doctor of Sciences must meet one of the following requirements:
1.1. Scientific researches and studies carried out by the applicant ensure solution of the socio-cultural or economic important problem;
1.2. New theoretical provisions considered a great achievement for the perspective development of the relevant scientific field are being developed in Dissertation;
1.3. Significant contributor to accelerate scientific and technological progress, scientifically proved economic, technical and technological developments are being solved;
1.4. The applicant can not lead to the defense of the doctoral dissertation his scientific provisions of Ph.D. dissertation;
2. Ph.D. dissertation, as an independent scientific work of the applicant submitted for the degree of Doctor of Sciences must meet one of the following requirements:
2.1. The new solution of any important issue of the relevant scientific field are being offered;
2.2. The scientific description of economic, technical and technological developments are being developed.
3. The candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must give candidate examinations on the specialty subject in the manner specified by the Commission (on two specialties, in case of preparation of the dissertation on two specialty subjects.
The candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy or Doctor of Sciences must give additional candidate examinations on the general bases of the field of science, if they haven’t got the higher education on the profile of their dissertations in the field of science. Only persons with higher education on these fields are able to defend candidacy and doctoral dissertation on Medical and Veterinary Sciences. Pedagogical experience of the candidates for the degree of Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences in the specialty should not be less than two years. Doctoral examinations shall be considered valid within six years from the date of exams. The doctoral examination on the specialty subject is given at the institution held the defense of the dissertation. The exam commission, institution (community organization) pays all cost of the doctoral examinations. Doctor's examinations' program and examination procedure is approved by the Commission. The Commission determines the organization, in where will be held exams of the specialty subject, in case of intention of creating of the Dissertation Council for the defense of the dissertations.
4. The candidates for the scientific degree submit their dissertations in the form of specially designed manuscript.
5. The dissertation is the scientific work covering scientific provisions and results written and put forward by the author of the dissertation. The dissertation must have internal unity and reflect the author's contribution to science personally.
The new results proposed by the author must strictly justify, they must assess critically as compared to the current facts and critical scientific views. The offers on information about scientific results obtained by the author (Applied Dissertation), recommendations related to the application of scientific results (Theoretical Dissertation) should be given.
The dissertation is prepared in accordance with the rules established by the Commission.
Dissertation themes must be in accordance with the main scientific research directions of the higher education institutions (Ph.D. and Doctoral study), which has the authority to prepare personnel on the relevant scientific science fields and the directions established by the Coordination Council of Scientific research Organization in republic (ANAS), and these themes must be approved by the Scientific Councils separately for every applicants. The scientific supervisor (on Candidacy Dissertation) or scientific advisor (on Doctoral Dissertation) is appointed according to the applicant’s desire. If research work on the dissertation plans in two different organizations or on two specialties, 2 supervisors, who have the degree of Candidate of Sciences, Doctor of Sciences will be appointed. The main initial scientific results of the dissertation must be published in scientific publications of the Republic of Azerbaijan and in leading scientific publications of foreign countries (scientific-practical clearly accepted by the international scientific communities). The list of relevant scientific publications is determined by the Commission. A short summary of the main research results of the dissertation published in prestigious scientific publications of foreign countries must be submitted to the Commission. The requirements related to the publication of scientific results of dissertation in scientific publications are determined by the Commission.
8. Applicants’ five articles on the results of Doctor of Philosophy dissertations, as well as one article published in the prestigious journals in foreign countries, at least twenty on the results of doctoral dissertations, including three on humanitarian and social sciences published in the prestigious journals in foreign countries, six articles on natural sciences must be published. Candidates’ general works for the defense of doctoral dissertations, monographs on humanitarian and social sciences are necessary. Additionally, certificates of authorship on inventions, industrial designs and patents, published lectures and theses on the results of nationwide and international conferences and symposiums, electronic scientific publications are included in the published works reflecting the results of the dissertation. Requirements for lectures and theses published on the results of the nationwide conference and symposiums, as well as on the electronic publications are determined by the Commission.
9. The applicant must refer to the materials sources and authors in writing of the dissertation. If scientific ideas and developments of the author collective are used, the applicant must note about it in the dissertation. Expertise of the dissertation is stopped if other materials not referring to the author and literature are used and the applicant isn’t entitled to re-defense on the same topic. If the fact of plagiarism is detected in the confirmed dissertation, the decision on scientific degree can be eliminated by the presidium.
Approved by Decree Reference No.857 February 21, 2003
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan